Imagine you could take a picture of every data point in your database just before you roll into the next business day – a snapshot in time to preserve a copy of how yesterday ended. What would you do with it that picture?
SnapShot is an environment in CU*BASE which stores a rolling copy of the complete FILExx processing data at every end-of-day (EOD). As an Asterisk Intelligence initiative, SnapShot (FILExxSS) was built with enhanced support for custom data transfers in mind, but we recognize that database managers and data analysts will want access to see and use the data on their own for research and reporting.
High Level – What Does It Do?
SnapShot standardizes time-of-capture for data sets which need to be consistent and static for further use. This is valuable especially for third-party vendor data transfers, custom query reports and other external software using CU*BASE data (Analytics Booth!). SnapShot data is captured at the same time every day, for all credit unions.
It also enhances back-end operations for data transfer products. SnapShot is available outside of the standard End-of-Day/Beginning-of-Day (EOD/BOD) processing window, which blows wide open the available time to send data to your vendors or your external data warehouses. Now, data transfers have a 20-hour window, increased from five hours.
Finally, it offers a free copy of yesterday’s backup to query and research. Did you know we make backups of your member and transaction processing data (FILExx) every day? Now you can see and use the most recent backup at any time via Query. The window of availability is short – SnapShot refreshes every night – but some of your departments may find value in comparing today to yesterday, or the ability to research a new time slice of data.
Request Access to Query SnapShot
Every credit union using the CU*BASE® core automatically has a SnapShot (FILExxSS) environment already. In other words, it’s FREE. No management or customization required, it’s an instant solution for a static, consistent copy of processing data as of the last end-of-day processing cycle.
To request access to the data via Query, place an order through Asterisk Intelligence’s Store Page.
At a Glance
Live Core Processing
SnapShot (EOD Copy)
|Purpose||daily processing||copy of yesterday’s FILExx||copy of last month’s FILExx|
|Timing||dynamic||static – updates daily||static – updates monthly|
|Retention||instant changes||1 day||6 months|
|Contains||all processing tables||all processing tables||partial set of processing tables|
Top 5 Reasons to Love Snapshot
- Every Piece of Data, Literally! No corners are cut here. Every single table, row and column that you find in the daily processing database has a corresponding record in SnapShot.
- Latest Possible Moment. The picture is developed within normal end-of-day (EOD) processing so you consistently capture the final values for any given day.
- New Time Slice for Analysts. Comparing current day data to yesterday’s data aids in member support research, research of financials and other queries where timing is important.
- Quadrupled Processing Window. Data transfers to vendors or your own teams can be larger and more flexible, as they are moved outside the Operations cycle (a 3-5 hour window) and are now run from the SnapShot data (available 20 hours).
- Smooth Operating. Testing of the transition to run vendor data transfers off SnapShot has been seamless and many custom data transfers already use it! Development continues to identify and prepare additional custom programs to utilize SnapShot.
One of the Family
SnapShot is native to CU*BASE® and becomes the third operational* warehouse of data in CU*BASE:
- FILExx (core production for transaction processing)
- FILExxE (selective set of six end-of-month records)
- FILExxSS (rolling copy of FILExx at last end-of-day)
Live data, end-of-month data and now end-of-day data – this new time-slice fills the need for consistent daily data capture for analysts and database administrators.
*An operational warehouse is one which supports the core system processing functions.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about SnapShot!
Provided by CU*Answers